Saturday 28 April 2012

Oh Deer

Well, things are still crazy around here; I've been writing 2000+ word essays every weekend in an attempt to finish my qualifications upgrading, which hasn't left me much time for anything else. However, last weekend I had a stroke of inspiration and started designing some new stitch markers in my beautiful idea journal.


I went through several versions of the design and lists of parts needed, but didn't have time to put them into action. Then yesterday on the way to work I was unfortunate enough to hit a deer on one of our back country roads. All three of us (me, the deer, and the car) suffered damages, and though it was certainly not how I wanted to start my Friday it did give me some more time to work on my plans. By the end of the night I had prototypes made up, and was finally able to post them in the shop today.



I've loved Tolkien's work since I was a small child; The Hobbit was the first book my Dad and I read together. My favourite characters in the Lord of the Rings trilogy were Tom Bombadil and Goldberry, and thoughts of them were what started the idea for these stitch markers. I wanted to capture the rich emerald green of Goldberry's dress and the golden curls of her hair, as well as the earthiness but otherwordliness of Tom. From there I thought of Galadriel and Arwen, ethereal, beautiful, and delicate and they seemed naturals to represent through beadwork. Lastly I made a set to symbolize Legolas, one of my favourite characters in the film adaptation.

It feels good to have some fresh ideas up in the shop, I have some larger sewing designs I've been working on but progress has been stalled due to the course work which has been frustrating. What I love about the stitch markers is that they are small and quick to make, and I can spend time with the hubby while working on them (he paints fishing lures at the dining table while I'm making my markers). In fact, I also designed a cheeky set of stitch markers with that in mind.

Also this week I finally found the perfect craft fair to start vending live at. The Hazelwood Centre Fall Harvest Craft Fair takes place Sunday, September 9th and is a manageable 4 hour, 1 day event in a beautiful setting. It draws a good amount of traffic, but won't be overly busy, which is perfect. I've been drafting lists of what I'll bring (I need the right balance between the ability to produce the items in bulk in a reasonable amount of time with good value added, and to choose things that will be easily portable). I'll be bringing stitch markers, sari scarves, and a new item which is silk flower pins.

Hopefully in another month, I will be able to finish up my new designs, and blog the progress. Happy knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment